Sunday, August 2, 2009

Remaining Flexible

I looked at my calendar for the week and was pleased to see that there wasn't much on it. I was even happier to see that I have tomorrow completely free-- the first day off that has been free in quite a while. Daughter has an appointment with her family doctor on Tuesday afternoon and a softball game Tuesday evening. At least this is a home one, so it's a 2 1/2 hour commitment instead of a 5 1/2 hour commitment.
.
Last night I prayed at a banquet, and when I got home there was a message from a daughter-in-law. I knew immediately what it meant. A had finally died. L, who has been on hospice and dying for several months now, continues to hang in there. Hopefully his day will come soon. On one of my visits last week, I asked L how he was. He said, "I'm still alive."
.
"Is that good news or bad news?"
.
"Bad news." The poor man has been ready for death, and is frustrated with the waiting. The waiting is hard for everyone. God's time is not our time, as I keep reminding him and his family.
.
A had been ready, too, and I'm pleased that she finally has been called home, as she had been praying for some time. When I talked to her daughter-in-law last night, they didn't know what the arrangements were going to be, but wanted to check in with me. So this morning I started trying to figure out what the timing would be for visitation and the service. I had visions of having to rearrange my entire week. This time, though, I was fortunate. Visitation and service will both be on Wednesday. They're going to come talk to me this evening about the service.
.
I still have tomorrow to myself. I won't have to rearrange Daughter's appointment on Tuesday, and she'll get to her game. It will be good. Daughter and I both know that we always have to be flexible, but its nice that for now, at least, our week can go forward as planned.

No comments: