Sunday, March 22, 2009

Twists and Turns

Sister called yesterday. Mom was slipping fast. She was on oxygen and minimally responsive. She woke up briefly and recognized Sister and Niece, and then she was sleeping again and couldn't be roused. After much internal debate, I decided to make a trip up to see her after church today. This morning's report was that they were going to use a tube to deliver meds, but not nutrition, to see if she would perk up to the point that they could do a barium swallow study. She has aspirant pneumonia.
.
We left about 11:30, arriving at the hospital about 2:15. When I walked into the room, she was awake, and her face lit up in recognition before I could say anything. Then she started to cry. It was a very emotional visit. I hugged her. I cried. I tried to comfort her. She tried to comfort me. She never said a word, but we communicated. It was hard to leave. Sister could promise she'd see her tomorrow. I don't know that I will ever see her again.
.
Or, she may rally, and I may say good by to her a dozen more times before she finally dies. Daughter couldn't stay in the room. It was too hard on her. I'm glad I went. Dad went up to see her yesterday, but it "tore him up," so I don't know that he will go again. It's just hard. I'm going to seek to get as much done as possible this week, in case I do have to go back for a memorial service....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

prayers, owl

Linda B said...

I'm sorry you are going through such an emotional time. My prayers to you.

Reverend Mom said...

Thank you both for your prayers. We really do feel upheld in prayer-- and it is making all the difference in our ability to cope.