Monday, March 16, 2009

A Conversation

Daughter turned things around yesterday and was very helpful as I prepare to leave town in an hour or so. I was relieved. I think she saw how tired I am and recognized I need a break. She has healed a great deal, and she is capable of empathy now, which I celebrate.
.
Yesterday evening we went to the store. She took advantage of that time to update me on one of her friends.
.
"Do you remember my friend M?"
.
"Yes."
.
"Well, she's married, and now she's had her baby." (This young woman was not ready for marriage and a parenting, but that's another story).
.
"She did?"
.
"Yes, and she's healthy and she had a healthy baby."
.
"That's good. Was it a boy or a girl?"
.
"She didn't tell me."
.
"She didn't tell you?" I was a bit surprised by this.
.
"She refused to tell me."
.
"Why would she refuse to tell you?"
.
"I don't know. I'm going to have to email her and ask her why she won't tell me the baby's sex."
.
"Hmm. Did she tell you the baby's name?"
.
"Yes. The name is Elizabeth."
.
This was a real conversation. She honestly didn't realize that a baby named Elizabeth would be a girl. What can I say? She does keep life interesting....

No comments: