Saturday, March 7, 2009

Blood Sugars, Sigh

Daughter's blood sugars were running high in the hospital, and I complained that they were dangerous and they weren't giving her enough insulin. Now she's home, and I'm controlling her insulin, and her blood sugars are even higher. I increased her Lantus, which is her long acting insulin she takes once a day. Her blood sugars are still high. Today I asked her what she'd been into overnight.
.
"Nothing!"
.
"Your blood sugars have been running high, and if you haven't been into anything, I should really increase your Lantus. If you have been into something, that could be very dangerous. Should I increase your Lantus?"
.
"Wait."
.
"I ordered a door alarm for your bedroom, and it will arrive Wednesday. Once I put that on your door, are your blood sugars going to be lower in the morning?"
.
"Yes."
.
"What have you been into?"
.
"Nothing!"
.
"You just told me your blood sugars will be lower with the door alarm. Why will they been lower? Have you been into milk during the night."
.
"Yes."
.
"Thank you for telling me the truth."
.
This just gets so frustrating. She wants more independence, but I feel like I should keep her in my line of vision 24 hours a day if I want to keep her safe. I received no discharge instructions for her, but she says Psychiatrist told her she could go back to controlling her own insulin, but she told Psychiatrist she didn't want to.
.
I hate this disease!

2 comments:

maeve said...

The combination of diabetes and RAD has to be terrible. Power and Control doesn't mesh wih sugar levels. She wants to do what she wants to do, and you need to keep her safe. If you let her do whatever she wants to do she'll be in terrible trouble. If you try to control her she'll want to be in control and make you crazy. I'm where you are with a kid who will be alive if she doesn't follow the rules. I guess that's better.

Reverend Mom said...

You hit it right on. She told me this evening that the more I bug her about food, the more she'll eat. There are no answers, at least none that I have figured out. Oh, I take that back, there is one answer: a cure!