Monday, March 2, 2009

Oops!

I had decided that Dad didn't need to know that Daughter was back in the hospital. He always worries when she's in, and I decided he didn't need to worry. I was limiting my calls to him so he wouldn't figure out something was wrong and press me for information.
.
Today the reports were that he was in good shape and good spirits. He was less confused and more upbeat. The neurologist had been in, and thinks his problem with his right arm is definitely due to a stroke. He's ordered a CT scan (MRI's are out because he has a pacemaker).
.
So I called him, and as I was talking to him Cat was being an obnoxious brat. Both Cat and Kitten have been very demanding the past couple of days. They really miss Daughter. I said something about Cat being demanding because he missed Daughter. The reports were right, he's very with it today. He jumped all over that. "Where's Daughter?"
.
I assured him she just needed a minor tune-up in her meds and I expected her home soon. He wanted to know what hospital she was in. I found myself tongue-tied, and after a few words that I hope were somewhat reassuring, I ended the call. I did tell him I hadn't intended to tell him because I didn't want him to worry. I knew it was dangerous to call him. I knew it would end up slipping out. But I also knew that to not call would raise even more questions.
.
So much for trying to protect him....

No comments: