Friday, September 6, 2013

Not Quite a Day Off, but a Good Day

I spent most of the day at the church today.  We have been putting together a timeline of the congregation's history.  Today was the day we were going to mount it for display in the sanctuary.  We will be reflecting on it all fall. 

When I arrived, 2 volunteers were already working on it.  One had to leave, and another arrived.  It was after 3 before I left.   Around 1:00 someone stopped by to check in.  I sent him to the store to get lunch for us, and then he came back with his wife, and they helped, too.  It went relatively smoothly, and we were a good team, it just took a great deal of time.  In addition to getting the timeline mounted and displayed, I also heard some interesting things:

We have a Friday night children's program once a month that enables parents to have a date night.  One of the women who has been sending her two boys said it was the first time she and her husband had been able to do date night-- and their oldest is in first grade.  One of the boys is autistic, and both have been having a wonderful time.  My favorite 4 year old was there with his mom.  He accompanied me downstairs, and was intrigued by the labyrinth that has been taped to the floor downstairs.  After seeing how it fascinated him, I suggested to the program coordinator that we include it as an activity at our next Friday children's program. 

One of the men in the church has been rather contrary and negative the last few weeks.  Both Administrative Assistant and I have noticed it and commented on it.  Today he informed me that irritability is a side effect of a medication he is on.  He was apologizing (sort of) and promised to be more aware of it in the future. 

Even with all the work we were doing, it was a fun day.   Lots of conversation and laughter.  I needed that, as Daughter was in the midst of a bad day.  Her 3rd or 4th call ended with her hanging up on me.  I wasn't willing to go rescue her, and she wasn't happy about that.  I once again told her I was sorry she was having a bad day and had confidence in her ability to cope.  She didn't like my response. 

On the way home, I stopped and donated two trash bags of clothing at the thrift shop.  It felt good to get them out of my house....

No comments: