Monday, October 22, 2012

Figuring Things Out

Daughter moved out almost a year ago.  It's just been in the last few weeks that I realized that means I no longer have to be up at the crack of dawn on Mondays to get her ready for her program/school/whatever.  As a pastor, I have flexible hours.  There are certain times I have to be at the church to lead worship, teach or be part of a meeting, but the hours I spend preparing for writing/preparing and visiting are pretty flexible.  I've taken advantage of that when it comes to scheduling appointments that can't be on my day off, but not so much when it comes to when I get into the office in the morning. 

Slowly, I'm figuring out that I have some flexibility.  Today it was 9:30 when I arrived at the church.  I slept in.  I went for fasting blood sugar, and then I went to a diner for breakfast.  I read material related to Sunday's sermon as I ate.  It was a wonderful, relaxed way to start my week.  Eventually I may get used to this.  Sometimes I'm just a bit slow.  I have a board meeting tonight, so even though I came in later than usual, it will still be an 11 hour day.  You'd think I'd have figured it out earlier-- when I'm going to be at the church into the evening, I can come in later in the morning.  Sometimes I'm slow. 

Daughter called this morning.  She has changed her mind about Friday's field trip.  She doesn't want to go now.  She wants to spend the day with  me instead.  I think it is a good decision.  It would have been a challenge for her to hold it together with a group in a strange place for that length of time.   It also will make my life much easier, as I don't have to worry about getting her back to her house after choir Thursday night or early Friday morning for the trip. 

Both of us are figuring things out.

No comments: