Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Two Hours in ICU

Two weeks ago today, one of our members had major surgery.  The family was told the surgery had gone very well.  It's now two weeks later, and he's still in a drug induced coma.  They've tried bringing him out of the coma several times, and each time there have been complications that caused them to put him back in the coma.  One of our deacons has been doing wonderful ministry with the family, and he called from the hospital parking lot after his visit with them yesterday.  I decided I needed to go see them.  I spent the next two hours talking to various family members.  This family has had many struggles.  They came into this expecting a sprint, and it has become a marathon.  They are exhausted and on edge.  They are getting different stories from different doctors.  They're struggling with decisions they may or may not have to make.  I listened and offered support.  I prayed with them.  I gave them business cards listing every possible way to reach me.  The atheist in the family spent a lot of time talking to me and apologizing for his tears. 

I'm glad I went.  It's an honor to be able to minister to families as they struggle with these issues.   When I left the hospital two hours later, I was exhausted, but it was a good exhausted.  I love my life. 

No comments: