Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stop It

Daughter called yesterday afternoon, complaining about her program and the violation of her rights.  She was ranting and raving, and what I finally figured out was that she apparently refused to go on the afternoon outing, so staff was telling her no one would be able to go.  She claimed she could stay behind while everyone left and the staff was being disrespectful to her.  She was crying, to make it more dramatic. 

I told her to stop it.  Several times.  She finally stopped crying enough to listen to what I was saying.  I informed her that she wasn't in charge, and she had to respect staff.  I told her she was in that program  to go on outings, not to stay behind.  I informed her that sometimes we had to do things we didn't want to do and even do them when we didn't feel good (she was claiming she had a headache).  I informed her that was part of being a responsible adult and I didn't want to hear anymore complaining.  She stopped, and hung up, mad. 

She called later and told me she was better.  By bedtime, she was happy.  I've done this in the past, but it has never worked as well as it did yesterday.  I think I've learned a new technique for stopping the drama.  Of course, I'll have to be ready with a new trick, because I know this won't last forever. 

No comments: