Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm Getting Too Old for This....

I am dragging today.  In addition to worship this morning, I led it this afternoon at the retirement home near the church.  I am tired.  I guess I'm getting too old for short nights.  Friday night I was at the hospital for a death.  I got home a little before 2 a.m. and it was probably 3 before I fell asleep.  I got about 4 hours sleep before I had to get up for the AC installer. 

Last night I intended to go to bed early.  As I was getting into bed, I got a text message from Sister.  Her ex-mother-in-law had a massive stroke this week, and yesterday they told the family she would not survive.  Sister didn't want to call me, because she didn't want Short Niece to overhear the conversation.  So we proceeded to text.  This is Short Niece's only living grandparent, and they were very close.  I finally told her good night.  Of course, my mind was racing after that conversation, and about the time I fell asleep a car alarm across the street went off.  I had the windows open, so it took me a minute to figure out the noise was coming from outside.  When I fell back asleep, I didn't sleep well. 

I'm determined to get a good night's sleep tonight. I'm going to need it.  This week, which was supposed to be a bit slower, is rapidly filling up.  I have a memorial service for the man who died Wednesday evening, and I'm meeting his daughter tomorrow afternoon to plan it.  If Sister's ex-mother-in-law dies I'd like to go to the service, but that may not be possible, depending on when it is scheduled.  I have commitments 3 evenings in a row this week.  I'm not ready for all the evening commitments that come with fall....  I was hoping to get a solid block of time to do some fall planning.  It looks like that is going to be a challenge this week. 

Right now I'm going to go can some tomatoes.  This will be my only opportunity until Thursday....  I really think I'm getting too old for this.....

No comments: