Friday, August 24, 2012

Making Up Work

I don't punch a time clock.  No one tracks my hours.  If I have a personal appointment mid-day, no one complains.  So when I decided to go to the funeral of Short Niece's grandma yesterday, there were no objections.  I left before 8 and didn't get home until almost 4, so I didn't do any work yesterday.  I didn't even open my computer.  Actually, I take that back.  As I waited for the funeral to begin, I jotted down some notes for my sermon.  On my way home, I called the church.  Administrative Assistant sounded terrible.  Treasurer had shared his cold with her.  I told her to go home early and stay home today if she didn't feel better. 

I was in my study at 8:00 this morning, though.  Not because I had to make up the hours I didn't work, but because even when I have a family funeral, there are certain things that have to be done.  I still need a sermon for Sunday and an agenda for Monday.  I still need to get the content I promised to the webmaster so she can have the new website ready to go live on September 9.  I still need to make sure we have all the committee information for Monday evening's board meeting.  I still have to be ready for fall program to begin September 9 and the newsletter to go out next week.  I also wanted Administrative Assistant to have the option of staying home today if she didn't feel better. 

I've gotten quite a bit done today.  Unfortunately, that doesn't include the sermon.  I doubt I'll have it done before I leave for the day.  That means I'll have to spend some time on it tomorrow.  But that's okay.  This week has had some unusual things going on.  Most weeks aren't quite this stressful.  Next week it should be easier to fit the work into the available time.  Even with all the work and the challenge of taking time off, I wouldn't trade my life for anything. 

No comments: