Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Winter

I'm not that much further north here than in Tiny Village. We had winter in Tiny Village. I was sure I was ready for this. I was wrong. I went to the church for meetings yesterday evening. Under the snow it was solid ice. Cars were getting stuck and sliding around. I'm very grateful for traction control and anti-lock brakes!
.
I told one of the men that I'd been surprised by how hard it had been to get up my driveway Sunday. He laughed. He said when he first came by to check out the house, that was the first thing he noticed and commented on. He'd had a similar driveway for 14 years, and assured me I'd hate it. I choose to be a little more optimistic than that. Though many schools outside the city are still closed today, Daughter will be going to her program.
.
One of the women in the church came and stayed with her last night while I was at my meeting. They worked on the foam Christmas ornaments I purchased for Daughter to give as gifts. It was great for daughter, and I'm very grateful.
.
Today I have a meeting across town and an appointment an hour away. I'm not sure I'll make it to either of those. The roads will have to be much better than they were yesterday evening for me to venture that far. It's so cold that salt isn't melting the ice.
.
On a more positive note, an unknown neighbor used the snow blower on our driveway yesterday, I'm grateful. I'm also grateful that the sidewalks are across the street! Daughter did manage to turn it around pretty well yesterday. When I got home yesterday evening, she snuggled in next to me for 30 minutes of TV before bedtime. She wanted to get in bed with me at 3:30 this morning, but that won't happen as long as she's wetting the bed. She's wet my bed entirely too many times, and I'm not going to let it happen again if I have any control over it. I don't have plastic on my mattress, and don't want it.

No comments: