Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snow

It began snowing around 7:00 this morning. I discovered that the traction control still works on my car on the drive to church today. When we got home, I was reminded that our driveway goes up hill, and discovered it was slippery under the snow. Once we got into the garage, I grabbed 2 snow shovels, telling Daughter it would be easier if we kept up with it. It's a wet, heavy snow, so I didn't want it getting too deep before we cleared the driveway. We were still in our church clothes, but I knew if we came in the house to change, I'd never get Daughter back out there again.
.
Daughter worked with me, though reluctantly. I divided the driveway in half, but I did way more than half. It must have been frustrating for her, how could she complain about it being too hard when I was shoveling circles around her? I've decided I'm not going to try to go to the sing along Messiah this evening. I'm not going to go across town in this weather, especially since they are predicting that it will get very cold tonight, and the wind will pick up.
.
I stopped for gas on the way to the church, as I looked down and realized it was getting close to empty. Attendance was down today, I'm sure as a result of the weather. The congregation continues to be very appreciative of my worship leadership, which is nice. One of the smoke detectors went off at 12:30 yesterday morning. One of the men and the fire department were there, but didn't find any problems.
.
In Inner City I was at the top of the alarm list. In Tiny Village the sheriff's department would call and wake me up to bring a key when they found the church unlocked. I really gave one deputy a hard time when he woke me up at 3:00 one Sunday morning. He had connections in the church, and they found other people to call to come lock the church when they found it unlocked in the middle of the night. Here, I don't find out about problems until Sunday morning after they've been resolved. I like that.
.
Daughter didn't want to get up for church again this morning. I told her if she didn't get up, we wouldn't go out to eat. She didn't move. I thanked her for saving me money since I wouldn't have to pay for a restaurant meal. I stood over her until she got up, and she didn't get any breakfast this morning. She got a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. I may feed her something nicer this evening, provided she gets up from her nap and works with me.
.
Friday she brought home a letter explaining the closing policy for her program. If the local school district is closed, so is her program. I'm not sure if I should hope for that tomorrow or not. If the program does close, I'll be working from home tomorrow.
.
For now, I'm going to enjoy the beauty of the snow from the warmth of my house. I hope all of you in the midst of the snow are staying warm and dry.

No comments: