Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pushing Buttons

"As soon as I'm done in the bathroom, you need to get in."
.
"Okay."
.
"I'm about done in the bathroom, be gathering the things you need."
.
Silence.
.
"You need to get moving."
.
"I don't feel good."
.
"Then go check your blood sugar. You need to get moving."
.
Silence.
.
I turned on her bedroom light, and headed towards her bed.
.
"Okay, I'm moving!"
.
She stayed in bed. I called her a few more times. She ignored me a few more times. I went in and pulled the covers off of her. Then I backed off and stood in her bedroom door.
.
"Leave!"
.
"I will leave as soon as you're in the shower."
.
"Go away!"
.
"Once you're in the shower, I'll leave you alone."
.
"Stop staring at me!"
.
"Get in the shower and I won't stare."
.
"If you don't move, I'll be forced to physically hurt you."
.
"I will move as soon as you're in the shower."
.
"You don't respect me! I'm not going to respect you because you don't respect me."
.
I think we both hit some buttons this morning. The respect comment was what did it for me. That's when I began to yell. But, she's showered and dressed. I now know that standing in her bedroom door gets her moving. It may not be pleasant, but it gets her moving.

No comments: