Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why I'm Scared for My Daughter

After spending most of the day raging, Daughter finally calmed down and went into her bedroom and listened to her Christian music, as I had suggested. She quickly calmed down and began dealing with her clothes, which was another of my suggestions. By bedtime she was happy and cooperative. She made significance progress in her room, but told me she hadn’t been able to clear off her bed so she could sleep in her own room. I think this was an excuse, and she needed the security of the recliner in my room and proximity to me.

This morning she was up on her own and decided to spend some time working in her room before breakfast and church. Her cooperative attitude has continued. I’m sitting in the bowling alley right now watching her bowl. She hasn’t reclaimed her softball jersey or Special Olympics medals yet, but she reclaimed her bowling bag, obviously.

This morning she asked if she had to continue to help with children’s ministry. I told her to finish out the month and then we’d talk. By the time she was done today, she decided she liked it and would continue.

Her blood sugar was down about 50 points this morning. It’s still not as low as it should be in the morning, but it’s definitely progress. She was obviously doing a good job of staying away from extra food yesterday evening. Once I realized that she’d been sneaking food, I had decided to hold her night time insulin at the same level. I’m very glad I did. This afternoon she had another low. It was not as bad as the last one, but it still took lots of glucose tabs, milk, and ice cream to get it to come back up. I hate to think what would have happened if I had increased her insulin yesterday evening as I had planned. I sat her down and explained the importance of this again. I hope she understood, but even if she understood then, that’s no guarantee she’ll remember it tomorrow, or even tonight.

She continues to hear voices. It will be interesting to see where she decides to sleep tonight. I hope Psychiatrist will be able to tweak her medication and get her moods leveled out some.

No comments: