Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thunder

Fall is coming, and the nights are much cooler. I threw open the windows yesterday and put a fan in the window in my bedroom to pull in the cool night air. As I was sitting here last night, I heard what sounded like thunder or the loud bass on a passing car. With the noise of the fan, it was hard to tell what it was. At one point I even got up and went and looked out a west window to see if there were signs of a storm. There weren’t, and eventually I forgot about the noise and went to bed.

When I got up this morning, the thunder/bass was back. I didn’t think that anyone would be driving by with a booming bass at 6:00 on a Sunday morning, and there was no sign of a storm. I then realized that Cat had not slept at the foot of my bed last night. I knew what the noise had been. I went and opened the attic access in my closet, and sure enough, Cat came running out. He was mad. He paced and meowed. He went and visited Daughter. He demanded I turn on the water in the bathroom sink.

Eventually, I realized that I hadn’t seen Kitten. What's more, Kitten hadn'd appeared to annoy Cat. I asked Daughter if she’d seen Kitten. She hadn’t. I went back and opened the attic access again. Out ran Kitten. Cat calmed down once Kitten was out. They were locked in there for well over 12 hours. I’m just glad it wasn’t a hot day.

I’m sure that the next time there is an opportunity, they will both go in and explore the attic again. Maybe next time I’ll realize that I’m not hearing thunder, but Cat throwing his body against the door.

No comments: