Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Concert


have been taking Daughter to concerts since she was 5 years old. We have gone to indoor and outdoor concerts; we have been to classical, country, folk, rock, jazz, ragtime, world music and others I can’t remember right now. We’ve heard orchestras, vocal groups, bands, solo artists, and pianists. We’ve been to ballets, musicals, and comedies. Daughter enjoys all kinds of music, and has an amazing ear and memory for music. She enjoys all of it.

Last night we heard a man who did Sinatra songs. It was very good. Now as much as Daughter enjoys these concerts, it seems like she always tries to convince me we should leave at intermission. Last night she started in early. We took our seats and she told me she felt like she was going to have a seizure. She has never predicted a seizure, and hasn’t had one in over 18 months. After the last one we increased her medication, so I don’t anticipate her having another one. Then she checked her blood sugar; it was fine. As the concert progressed, she put her head on my shoulder because she was sooo tired. She held my leg down when I began tapping my toes. She wrapped herself around my arm, not wanting me to clap. I heard all about how she didn’t feel good. At intermission I asked her if she wanted to go to the restroom with me. She didn’t. She was pouting because I wasn’t willing to take her home.

When I came back from the restroom, she was eating some of her emergency crackers. I asked her if she had dropped, and she assured me she had. I asked if I could see her meter. She got upset, and dropped the remaining crackers in her bag. I told her she had to take insulin to cover the crackers she had eaten. Now she was mad. I wasn’t to touch her. She sat there, rigid in her seat, as the concert resumed. About half way through the second half she leaned over and whispered in an apology in my ear. Then her head was back on my shoulder, and she was once again wrapped around my arm. She again asked to leave early. I refused. As I expected, the closing song was My Way, and the encore was New York, New York.

Daughter doesn’t have to enjoy the concerts, but I will not allow her to interfere with my enjoyment of them. Our next concert is Irish dancers. She asked me to buy this series when she saw the advertisement for them. She’d better be grateful. The sad thing is, I know she enjoyed the music last night. She was just in one of her moods.

Tomorrow morning we head to my Dad’s. He’s feeling much better, and his kidneys are fine. The doctor said he could go home tomorrow or Tuesday. Sister wants to meet us for supper tomorrow evening. Our ability to do that will depend of when Dad gets out of the hospital. Our trip will make a busy week busier, but it will be good to see family again. Daughter has indicated that she is eager to go and be helpful. I hope that she continues with that attitude.

No comments: