Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rough Day


It has been a rough day for Daughter. She slept in her own bed last night, but was up and getting ready for work at 5:00 this morning. Therapist saw her at the workshop at 10:00, and she was bright and chipper. About noon she called me, distressed. When I asked what was wrong, she told me she was losing all her friends. I asked what had happened. She had loaned Best Friend her ipod. When Best Friend gave it back, she didn’t talk to Daughter and had a look on her face that Daughter said meant she didn’t want to be her friend anymore. I calmed her down some, but she was crying when we hung up.

At 12:30, she called again. I was on my way to Town to get lunch and go to the nursing home. Now Daughter was sobbing. She’d taken insulin for all her lunch but she couldn’t eat it. She wasn’t losing her friends, and she didn’t know why she was crying. I encouraged her to eat as much as she could of her lunch, and then told her to go wash her hands and face, put on her ipod, and see how much work she could do this afternoon. I told her to call me at 1:15, and if she was still so miserable, I would come get her. She called at 2:00. She was no longer sobbing, but still wasn’t happy. She told me she’d ride the bus home.

Tonight we had a discussion about her plans to rent a house and move in with 3 friends in December or maybe January. These are the friends she wanted to move out of state to escape last week. This week she doesn't want to ever move away from her friends. I just showed her that her income doesn’t even cover half or her expenses, yet she was determined she could do this. I finally suggested we make a list of the things she had to be able to do before she moved out so she could begin working on them now. We decided the list was too overwhelming for her to do all at once (but she’ll have it mastered by December), so I set up a chart for her diabetes management with the tasks she listed. Once she masters those, we’ll come up with more goals for her. I doubt she’ll make it through the first list. I pointed out she has to be able to wash her own hair before she can live on her own.

The garage sale is tomorrow, so she went upstairs to find things she wants to sell. She came down with a laundry basket containing most of her clothes (including the clothes she wore today). She said she had another basket just like it upstairs. I asked her what she was going to wear if we sold all of that. She wasn’t sure. She said, “But these are things I don’t wear every day.” I pointed out it’s impossible to wear all her clothes every day....

Most troubling is that she thought she heard me calling her several times tonight. She has been denying it, but I am fairly certain the voices are back. She has an appointment with Psychiatrist on Monday. I just hope she can hold it together until then. It could be a very long weekend.

No comments: