Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Final Straw


Today an 82 year old woman in the congregation decided she couldn't keep going anymore. Her husband had surgery May 27 that did not go well. Since his surgery she had completed a move from their farmhouse to a one story home in Town and overseen an auction of all their household goods. She has pursued answers when the doctors said there were no answers. She has endured being the target of his anger. Friday she endured seeing his surgery postponed a day. Saturday she waited while he went through surgery after yet another postponement. On the hospital rehab unit, they speculated that when she learned that there wasn't room for him in the nursing home closer to home, it was the final straw. Today, she drove to the farm, drove her car into the garage, and closed the door. She left a note, which is now in the possession of the sheriff.


I had several people call me with the news, so I went over to the hospital. I so admired the faith and strength in this woman. I keep wondering if there was some warning sign I missed. When I last saw her Sunday, she seemed fine. I kept trying to call her today, but she wasn't answering at home, and her cell phone was turned off. Now I know why I couldn't reach her.... As I consider my own grief, I recognize that I'm just experiencing a small fraction of the pain that her family is experiencing right now.


I was still at the hospital with the family when my cell phone rang. A 90 year old woman fell and broke her neck today. On the way home, I stopped by the other hospital in the City to check on her. She's pretty bruised up, but she had a firm grip as she took my hand and demanded to know what I thought of the book she'd loaned me last time I saw her.


Daughter was wonderfully patient with a couple of hours of setting in hospital lobbies. She really does know how to rise to the occasion.


Now I'm trying to figure out all the family connections so I can make sure I get in touch with those who are hurting tomorrow. This suicide has shaken the whole community, and I'm going to have to look again at my worship plans for Sunday.

No comments: