Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Ministry Challenge


In the midst of my joy over the election results, I am very much aware that for the majority of the saints here in Tiny Village, the results do not evoke joy, but fear. My responsibility now is to set aside my joy, and point to God in the midst of fear. I will continue to celebrate with close friends and family. Sister called me at 5:30 this morning-- she went to bed last night without knowing the results, and had just seen the news. She was overjoyed, and I didn't even mind being awakened after less than 4 hours of sleep (come this afternoon I may feel differently).

But for those who are genuinely afraid, my joy may seem like gloating, and preventing me from ministering to them in the midst of their fear. My Sister called a second time as she was on her way to school (she had to report that my almost 4 year old niece had counted to 300 this morning), and she spoke of her principal's fear that Obama might win. I told her to remind him that God is still God.

While acknowledging their fear, I need to gently remind the saints here in Tiny Village that our security comes not from the president, but from God. As I prayed for God's guidance and will to be reflected in the outcome, I quietly hoped that would mean that Obama would win, but I certainly didn't believe I should tell God to make Obama win. I prayed for God's will to be reflected in the election, but I didn't try to tell God what that will should be. Yet I know that many, on both sides, did tell God what the outcome should be. If McCain had won, I would have been disappointed. I hope, though, I would have had the faith to accept that this was God's answer to our prayers and support and pray for him through his presidency. I hope those who supported McCain will do the same for Obama now.

I will remind people that God is greater than any political leader, and that the Bible promises that God always wins. This morning I had a conversation with one of the saints who has been very active in politics. He is frightened. He said, "Maybe God had him elected to bring about the end times." I responded, "Or maybe God had him elected because he sees him as the person best equipped to lead us out of the current mess." I reminded him that our security is in God, not the president. Beware of thinking that we know why God does things or what God should do. Maybe this saint is right, and God is going to use Obama to bring about the end. Whatever God's purpose, God is still in charge and God always wins.

Our prayers are just as important now as they were before the election. We need to pray for healing for our nation and God's guidance for all of our leaders.






4 comments:

debinca said...

Hi Wendy, I am glad you are happy with the election, You certainly have lots of company.

I am a member of a photo blog, they posted this today, thought you'd like it! Owl

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/11/the_next_president_of_the_unit.html

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. I did enjoy the picture. I know I have a lot of company elsewhere, but not in my county. I went and visited the saints in the nursing home I knew had been Obama supporters yesterday. We talked about the election for over an hour. We needed to talk to each other-- to talk to someone who understood our joy. We are sensitive to the reality that many of our friends are scared, and we don't want to upset them further.

Munchkin Mom said...

I think Obama's election will go a long, long way toward helping racial healing in this country. My students were elated--not just at a black man being elected, but because some whites must have voted for him, too.

And John McCain gave a classy, classy concession speech.

Reverend Mom said...

mm,

I hope you're right. I'm glad you're seeing people who are celebrating. On this side of the state, celebrating is done very quietly and privately.