Saturday, November 8, 2008

Return of the Lows

Daughter's blood sugars have been relatively stable since her new endocrinologist changed her insulin. It's been running a bit higher, but he gave us a higher target blood sugar for now. She hadn't had a low until this morning. We left at 7:00 this morning to go to the hospital for the rescheduled surgery. She woke up this morning with a cold, so I had told her she had to sit across the room from the family.
The surgery was postponed from 8:30 to 10:00 this morning, which was stressful for the family. I was in pre-op with the family when Daughter called-- her blood sugar was low. I directed her to eat 30 grams of glucose instead of the normal 15. She followed up with peanut butter crackers. Her blood sugar came up-- for a few minutes. She dropped into the 40's two more times. The surgery went well, and I took Daughter out for lunch. She had a salad, chicken fingers and fries with no insulin. Her blood sugar should have gone sky high. It didn't-- but it stayed between 70 and 95, which perked her up quite a bit. This morning she was pretty miserable.
We didn't make it to the shower for my future sister-in-law today. Sister wasn't too thrilled that I wouldn't make it. She supervised her 3 year old daughter and our senile mother. She told a family friend that she had the opportunity to wipe both her mother's and daughter's bottoms today. Her friend pointed out that at least she's good at it.
I hope to go see Dad and Mom this week, but Daughter will have to be over her cold, and I'll have to avoid getting it. We're not going to go see my aging parents if we're not healthy.

No comments: