Thursday, November 6, 2008

Waiting

We saw Psychiatrist Tuesday, and she was going to have her nurse contact Neurologist's nurse about starting Daughter on Depakote. She thought they'd be able to get back to me in about 24 hours. It's now been 48 hours, and I haven't heard anything. While we wait, Daughter continues to have the manic breakthroughs. This evening she was ranting to herself about how she was stupid and should just shut up. She was saying really terrible things to herself. I tried to divert her by thanking her for unloading the dishwasher. She immediately turned on me and informed I was not to speak to her, as I was making things worse.
Yesterday she called me three times from the workshop. She thought she was too sick to stay. She knows that if she's too sick for the workshop, she's too sick to watch TV. I was headed to town, so I told her she had 45 minutes to make up her mind. If she called in that time frame, I would come get her. She stayed the rest of the day, I suspect because she wanted to watch TV.
This morning she told me she kept waking up with nightmares all night long. It's now been 48 hours, and I have heard nothing from the nurse. I'll call tomorrow, but it may be hard to make connections since I will be at the hospital all morning with some of the saints for the surgery of one of them. I suspect that we won't know anything until we see Neurologist next Wednesday. I hate to think that Daughter has to wait that long for any relief, especially since we're headed out of state to see family and go to a wedding shower tomorrow evening. Those trips are always hard on her. We stay in Dad's one bedroom apartment and spend time visiting Mom, who is in a memory care unit. It doesn't give her any space to go off and blow when she needs to, and she is quite distressed by her grandparents' failing health.
Waiting is never easy. I hope we will hear something tomorrow. I hope there will be some adjustment that can be made to stop the mania....

No comments: