Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Great Way to Start the Day....


Being the suspicious, nosy, meddling Mom that I am, I wasn't convinced Daughter had really made a PB&J sandwich for her lunch today, as I had instructed. I wasn't sure she'd done it yesterday, either. So I asked if I would find the 1/8th cup measuring cup (for the peanut butter) and the measuring spoon (for the jam) in the dishwasher. She told me she hadn't used them, she'd just spread the stuff without measuring. I was not happy. Every carb and calorie she eats is carefully measured and balanced to come to 60 grams of carb for lunch. I asked to see the sandwich before she went out the door. She told me I didn't need to, of course, which just made me even more suspicious, nosy, and meddling. She had placed two pieces of bread in a sandwich bag. Have you ever seen a suspicious, nosy, meddling Mom explode? It's not a pretty sight.


By now the bus was due, so I rushed into the kitchen and started measuring peanut butter, while I demanded she find me a tablespoon and the low-sugar strawberry jam. She did, and the jam, which had been used only a few times, was almost empty. There wasn't even a full tablespoon left. I was not patient and loving. I asked her if I was the only one who cared about her health and well-being. I told her I was sick of her lying to me all the time, and I didn't know how she expected me to trust her when she pulled things like this. She stormed out of the door and onto the bus muttering about not wanting to live.


She keeps insisting that now that she's 21 she can handle everything herself and doesn't need me. She gets furious at me for "holding her back." Then she pulls stuff like this, and can't figure out why I don't trust her. I get so tired of following behind her to make sure she's telling me the truth. She gets very resentful when I check out things she tells me. I keep pointing out that if she were responsible and honest, I wouldn't need to do these things. I might as well be talking to a brick wall.


I suspect she'll call me at some point today. I recognized the tics as a lie Friday, and I didn't buy the exploding internal organ yesterday, so it will be interesting to see what the ailment of the day is.

No comments: