Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sunday


Sunday was a busy day. I went with the youth group to eat pizza and do Christmas shopping for a family they adopted, and Daughter went with a respite provider to bowling. Daughter is still fighting a bad cold, but she made it through until late afternoon before she really got miserable. I dragged her with me to the hospital, and she waited in the lobby while I went up to visit one of the saints.


I also dragged her over to the church for the joint board meeting. She hung out in the office while I went to the meeting. This was the meeting where we go over budget and pastor's salary for the coming year. It is always stressful for me, as my salary is at the very bottom for pastors in this church with no experience, and I have well over 20 years now. This congregation is very funny about money, and they don't see the need to give their pastor or any of their employees raises. I was at peace going into the meeting this year. I had spent much time in prayer, and realize that their issues are not really about me. I also am confident that in the not too distant future God will be calling me to another opportunity.


While I left the room they had a discussion, and decided that they would give me a token raise for this coming year, but that they want to speak to judicatory people soon about some form of shared or part time ministry so they can cut their costs. They don't think they can afford a full time pastor any longer. There is full time work here, and they could afford a full time pastor, but for a variety of reasons, starting with fear, this is what they want to do. I told them I'd make the phone call, and we'd set up a meeting for after the first of the year-- probably in February or March.


Once the boards adjourned to their separate meetings, I assured the ministry board that I was seeking a new position, but explained that with the economy in the shape it is in, there aren't many positions available, and at this point I am limiting my search to positions that would get me closer to my aging parents so that I could provide more help and support. There were a few stricken faces; they hadn't realized that their decision meant I would have to leave. I assured them that we'd had over 12 good years, and it was time to move on.


As the meeting was ending, Daughter came down and motioned for me to come over. I had her come to me. She whispered in my ear that her blood sugar was dropping. It was 69, which isn't terribly low. I told her to eat some glucose tabs and sit at the side of the room. Within 15 minutes we were home, and she rechecked her blood sugar. It had dropped to 41. So began the fun. She ate and checked and ate and checked and finally went to bed once her blood sugar was up to 90. I held her long acting insulin, hoping that would keep her from dropping over night. At 3:00 in the morning she was in my bedroom to tell me her blood sugar had dropped to 51. I gave her instructions, and it came up to 94, so we both went back to sleep. At 3:00 in the morning she shouldn't have had any insulin in her system to cause her to go low. Since her new endo reduced her insulin, we hadn't had this problem. Obviously we're still going to have to make more adjustments.


Monday her blood sugars were pretty good-- they should have been sky high without the long acting insulin. I reduced her long acting insulin last night, and hope that will help at least some.


Sister called yesterday morning. I told her about the board meeting, she was concerned. I assured her that I was fine. I told her that I was more concerned about Daughter's blood sugars. I asked her not to tell Dad about what had happened, as I don't want him to worry. When I talked to Dad, he asked me about the meeting. I told him they'd given me a raise. He thought that was great and a sign they were finally figuring things out. The fact that he asked about the meeting tells me he was worried about it. He has a tendency to worry.


I am at peace. I trust God to provide the right opportunity at the right time. Yesterday a new position was posted. It would put me within an hour of my parents, which would be great. It's still small town, but much larger than Tiny Village. I'll send them my material. If it doesn't work out, something will. I will wait patiently for God's timing.


Daughter went to the workshop yesterday (her choice), but called me to come get her in the afternoon. She got home and slept for 2 hours. Today she's home for Veteran's Day, but has not shown any signs of movement yet. I hope that a day at home (or more accurately, following me around) will help her beat the cold. Of course, I think she has shared it with me, so I have something to look forward to.


I don't know where the future will take us, but I know that God is already there, and so we can approach it with the confidence of faith.


2 comments:

MBA Community Ministries said...

Praying for you today. Hang in there.

Reverend Mom said...

Thank you for the prayers. I think they've carried me through the week.