Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dealing with Stress


Daughter does not handle stress well. Yesterday she came home concerned about Grandad. I assured her he would be fine, but she was still concerned. She told me she needed to go for a walk to help with her stress. I was puzzled when she went out the backdoor. I looked out the window and couldn't see her. In a flash of insight, I went and checked the key board. Sure enough, the church keys were missing. I called the church phone on our home phone and her cell phone on my cell phone and told her to get home now. I knew she'd gone over there in search of food. We'll never be able to stop the lows as long as she's sneaking extra food.


Knowing she'd been caught, she felt guilty and flew into a rage. She slammed doors, threw things, and was generally ugly. Basically, she was mad at herself. She told me I should leave her home alone when I go to spend Thanksgiving with family. I asked her what happened to the list she came up with with Therapist. She didn't know where it was, but she remember what was on it and she'd tried them all. I had her recite some of the things that were on it: playing piano, singing, listening to music, dancing. I pointed out to her that I'd know if she'd done any of those things, and she hadn't.


There are times when I am exhausted by dealing with her. I was concerned about Dad, too. His hospitalizations are coming closer together, and it's frustrating to be so far away. Her acting out on her stress multiplies my stress. I end up exhausted. By bedtime she'd listened to some music and turned it around and done some of her chores. When I think of moving and having to get her through all the stresses that will come with getting her in with new doctors and into a new program in addition to the stresses that come with starting any new job, it's enough to make me want to curl up in a corner in a fetal position.... When the call to a new position comes, I will also be given the patience and strength to guide her through it.


Today I had to go pick her up from the workshop. Her blood sugar dropped right after lunch, and didn't come up until after she finished supper (with no insulin). She's not going to the workshop tomorrow. I don't have time to pick her up tomorrow if she has another low. I still have to write two sermons, get Sunday's bulletin printed, write a bunch of notes, and get the notices out about our next senior luncheon.... It will get done.

No comments: