Friday, April 5, 2013

Volunteering at the Office

Yesterday was Daughter's first day of volunteering in the office.  She shredded offering envelopes from 1994 and did some filing-- beginning with items from the end of October.  There are plenty of things she can do around the office for the foreseeable future.  There are too many things that don't get done due to time constraints. 

I don't think Daughter realized I meant it when I said she'd have to work.  She doesn't like shredding, and has burned out the motors of shredders to prove her point.  I gave her guidelines for her shredding yesterday-- no more than 3 envelopes at a time, and give the shredder a rest whenever it got hot.  I also told her that if she burned out the motor, she would be buying a new shredder.  She followed the guidelines and did well.  We kept the box she emptied, and will refill it each week for her. 

At one point she got mad and went outside, but she came back in and returned to work.  At the end of the day, she said we were like yo-yos.  We asked for clarification, and she said we were going back and forth and up and down and doing lots of different things.  A fairly accurate assessment.  I was not feeling well yesterday, and spent much of the day  coughing and blowing my nose.  I took Daughter out for supper, and then we were back at the church for choir.  I was glad to take her home last night.  It was nice to be able to sleep in this morning.  She's always had to be ready for the bus at 6:30 when she stayed with me, so it was a treat.  I'm feeling better today after a good night's sleep. 

I realized yesterday that I am once again over scheduled next week.  I have all day Monday and Wednesday afternoon in the office next week.  The rest of the time I will be away for various commitments.  We got the bulletin done for the 14th yesterday, so that helps a bit. 

Overall, Daughter seems to be doing well at the new house.  It certainly is more convenient for me.  She wasn't too happy about not being able to spend Thursday night with me, but I liked it.  I'll probably pick her up tomorrow afternoon and let her spend Saturday night.  She'll like that. 

No comments: