Saturday, January 22, 2011

Long Day

Today was our board retreat at the church. We were together 7 hours. The morning was spent on team-building exercises and education, and then this afternoon we spent time planning priorities and restructuring to meet those priorities. We combined 2 committees. We are discussing combining two more, but there was one person who was directly involved and didn't think it was a good idea. We are giving him time to reflect on the proposal.
.
We decided my priorities for the year are equipping and connecting-- equipping the committees and officers to be more effective in our ministry, and connecting with and getting to know the members, which I am doing through small group gatherings weekly. They also cautioned me on the need to take care of myself and delegate. They are willing to support and help in any way they can. At the end we were talking about positive things to celebrate in the newsletter-- they wanted to celebrate my leadership of them. This group is very responsive to my leadership style. It was a really good day.
.
The board's priorities are implementation, communication, and accountability. There are some major changes to be implemented. We talked quite a bit about communication, and are going to put more emphasis on accountability. I'm excited about the plans we made. Very excited.
.
Daughter did well at the home of one of the saints, and as a bonus, her husband decided to hitch a ride with me instead of driving separately. That meant I had help with set-up, clean-up, and loading things back into my car.
.
I apparently didn't save the work I did on my sermon yesterday, so I'm starting from scratch. On a positive note, I definitely wasn't happy with the work I had accomplished, so it's not all bad. I am exhausted after that long day, though, so I'm not thrilled about starting from scratch. It will be fine. They were still talking about my sermon on evangelism last Sunday. I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything to top that. I think, though, that they will understand that my focus was elsewhere this week.
.
Now I'm off to construct a sermon. Hopefully it will be less disjointed than this post....

No comments: