Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back to Normal

Today we've been busy taking down the Christmas decorations and putting them away. As the day has progressed, Daughter has become increasingly cooperative. This morning I wasn't sure she was ever going to be able to turn it around. She's worked hard, carrying multiple boxes up and down the stairs and wrapped the ornaments to put them away. I promised her a movie if she cooperated, but I think it's more than that. I think that putting away the ornaments marks our return to our normal routine, something she craves.
.
When we finally got the tree down and packed away, she said, "It feels good to get this stuff out of the living room. She needs her routine. I'm wondering if one of the reasons she has acted out so much is because we have been home, where she can do it. She usually holds it together pretty well when we're traveling and with family. This year, for the first time ever, we spent Christmas vacation here at home. She felt safe enough to act out. She didn't have the distraction of family, either.
.
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to getting back into the routine, too. It's been a wonderful break, and I'm ready to get back into it. This morning I sat down and made some notes on the calendar for the week, scheduling work and planning the menu. I put pizza on the menu for Friday night. I told Daughter that if she cooperates, we'll get the delivery pizza she likes so well. If she doesn't cooperate, I'll get the take out pizza with all the veggies that she doesn't like. I'll be happy either way.
.
Her program will continue at the church for a while yet. Their building was supposed to be ready mid-November, then they said mid-December, and now they're saying mid-January. She's already stressing over the move-- says she wants to be near me. Of course, last night she left and wasn't going to live with me anymore. It must be hard to live in her head. Back to normal sounds good right now.

No comments: