Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting Attention

Yesterday evening was another Meet the Pastor gathering in a home. Daughter spent much of the time in the basement playing wii with a 4 year old. Eventually the 4 year old went home, and she was upstairs sitting on the floor leaning against me. We were having a lively discussion on how to make the church more visitor friendly. She became upset and announced that she'd sent a text to a friend from Tiny Village, and the friend's mother had texted back that the friend had died. That certainly kills the conversation. I expressed sympathy, and asked to see the text. She couldn't figure out what had happened to it. As I was examining her phone, a text came in from the friend, telling Daughter she was fine.
.
"Look, I know you're bored and want attention, but I think you can come up with better ways of getting it than telling me your friend has died."
.
"Can we go now?"
.
"Well that's certainly a better way to tell me what you're feeling."
.
This conversation was quite public, and she was not at all embarrassed or ashamed of her lie. I guess it gives people a good idea of the kind of things I deal with on a daily basis. I am discovering more people within the congregation who have disabled family members. I think that is why they are so understanding.

No comments: