Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Trusting

In Daughter's current home, which is much better than the average group home, mistakes continue to pile up.  In less than a week there have been the following issues:

  • Inadequate protein in her lunch.
  • Running out of her anti-psychotic without taking action to secure more.
  • Giving her half of the insulin she should have had at supper, resulting in blood sugars in the 200's the next day. 
It's frustrating, to say the least.  It's hard to trust her health and well-being to strangers.  This house has some real advantages:
  • It's smaller.
  • There is less staff turnover.
  • It has a much better location. 
  • The staff is more competent and more caring.
So she's in a good house, and there are still major mistakes.  I choose my battles carefully.  I work at equipping Daughter to be her own advocate, and avoid getting involved whenever possible.  I did get involved with the antipsychotic, and I have raised the issue with lunch.  I haven't decided what to do about the insulin yet.  I will look at her blood sugars Thursday when I receive them.  I will probably have some comments at that point. 

Part of the challenge is that on paper, she doesn't qualify for the level of care she needs.  She can do many things independently.  She requires constant supervision, though, due to the diabetes and food issues. 

The mistakes and problems are taking a toll on me.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it all.  I'm trying to convince myself that I'm trusting her to God's care.  It would be easier, though, if the humans involved with her care were a little more competent. 

2 comments:

Anne said...

My mentally ill mother did too, also due to diabetes and food issues. It's easy to say, put it on her, but not so easy to do because you end up caring for her when her health gets messed up because she can't manage the diabetes and food on her own. I never managed to find a good solution. Maybe if Daughter makes some more progress, some of it will involve some of her food issues.

Reverend Mom said...

I hope Daughter will make enough progress that she will be able to control herself around food. Keeping that hope is very important to me. I'm sorry you had such struggles with your mother. Sometimes there are no good solutions.