Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Daughter and Christmas

Christmas with Daughter is always interesting.  She has a terrible time holding on to money, and then a few days before Christmas panics, because she doesn't have money for Christmas shopping.  This year, I told her I'd save the money she earned working for me for her Christmas shopping.  Between the weather and the work, we hadn't talked about Christmas shopping.  Yesterday I realized that, and asked her if she needed to go Christmas shopping.  "I'm just doing Christmas cards this year." 

I was tired and stressed, and that annoyed me.  Part of it is that I don't want her to think Christmas is all about her getting lots of gifts.  When she realized I was annoyed, she said, "I don't have any money."  I reminded her I'd saved money for her.  I had packed one meal for yesterday and clothes for last night, but decided we'd go out for one meal.  So while we were at lunch, I gave her the money she'd earned.  Her face lit up, "Maybe I can by something for myself!"  She could tell that was not the right thing to say. 

I was tired, the stores were jammed (and many of the stores at the mall were still without power and closed).  I was going to take her to the mall, and told her she could get me a sweater.  I gave her my discount coupons.  Then she said, "I want to get you something that will last and is more special.  I want to go to the Dollar Store!"  Time was running out, and I finally told her to go pick out something on amazon, print out the picture, and she could give that to me.  That's what she did. 

My siblings have been texting today.  They aren't receiving mine, and I'm missing some of theirs, so the conversation doesn't make much sense.  I just gave up on it.  I hope you all have had a blessed Christmas.  Please remember what it is really about.  I hope you all have had an option to worship Christ this Christmas. 

No comments: