Saturday, May 5, 2012

Spring Work Day

This morning we had a work day at the church.  We had a great turn out, and it was a very productive day.  I think I was the youngest one there, and I'm 54.  The oldest works was over 90.  The landscaping out front got cleaned up.  The sign was scrubbed. 
.
We also started clearing away brush and overgrowth near our pond.  It was very overgrown out there, and there were huge grape vines growing up into the trees.  It was hard work.  We were amazed by how much we got cleared. The men were having all sorts of fun with various tools, including chain saws.  There was one tree that had them bring trucks down with tow ropes to pull it out of the pond.   As we worked, all sorts of plans were being made for the area.  I don't think the beach or baptisms in the pond will become reality.  I doubt they'll build a Huckleberry Finn raft.  I hope they don't have me preach from a boat with a leak timed to make sure I don't go too long. 
.
There are some things that I know will happen.  We are renting a chipper on Thursday to deal with all the brush.  There is still a lot of work to do out there, but I think we will have a barbecue in June to show the congregation what's out there and what we've accomplished.  We are hosting a day camp at the end of July, so that has been a powerful motivation to get work done around the pond.  The drain was clogged earlier this year, and the men property guys are debating how best to rebuild the drain.  We're fortunate enough to have a couple of engineers in the congregation, which helps.  We also have a couple of people who work for the state and know the regulations are regarding wetlands.  That means we won't be getting a beach, which I think is a good thing.  Oh, and it is a smallish pond that isn't more than 3 feet deep at its deepest point, so the beach idea was never a good one. 
.
It was a fun morning, and I'm glad we had so many willing workers and accomplished so much....

No comments: