Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Daughter gave me a beautiful Mother's Day card when we celebrated adoption day a month ago.  It thanked me for teaching her about God.  I was touched, at least until she informed me that a staff member had made her get that one instead of the funny cat one she liked....

Mother's Day is hard for her, and I reminded myself of that this morning.  She spent the night here last night.  She didn't say anything about Mother's Day this morning.  She was pleasant and cooperative, but nothing special.  As the choir was gathering next door to my office, I heard her wish all the women a happy Mother's Day.  I stuck my head around the corner into the choir room, "You didn't wish me happy Mother's Day."  She was appropriately embarrassed, and came into my office to hug me. 

As we were driving to a restaurant, she told me that it was a hard day.  She was thinking about her birth mom, and trying to figure out what she owed her.  Should she write her or call her?  She thought about how hard it must be on her, to be alone.  She also knew that contact with her was not healthy for her.  I was impressed.  I suggested it was appropriate to say an extra prayer for her. 

She chose to go back to her house soon after lunch.  She didn't want to hang out with me this afternoon.  I didn't argue.  I thanked her for bringing a movie for us to watch together last night.  It's been a good day, and I'm also sad.  I'm sad for Daughter's birth mom, and I'm missing my own mom, too.  This is the third mother's day since her death.  It's probably been 5 or 6 years since I could carry on a conversation with her.  I miss her. 

I went to the home improvement store and bought a compost bin.  I put it together and found it a home in my backyard.  Yesterday it rained most of the day, but today is sunny and cool.  I'm going to keep busy outside today.  In fact, I'm sitting on my front porch as I write this post.  I'll be ready to start my next project soon....

No comments: