Monday, January 6, 2014

Snowed In

I think I got around 15 inches of snow with the first round.  The picnic table below had 19 inches on it, but there was a little bit of old snow on it.  We are now dealing with the polar blast.  Last I checked the wind chill was -30.  We are getting some more snow tonight-- but only a couple of inches.  A neighbor cleared my driveway with his snow blower, but I suspect it will be blown shut by tomorrow morning. 


A church member warned me that they had finally plowed the busy road the church is on, so it was now impossible to get into our parking lot.  Hopefully our snow removal contractor will be there to plow by tomorrow morning.  Of course, my street hasn't been touched yet, so I don't know if I could even get out to the main road 3 houses down.  They may not get to my street until tomorrow evening.  Of course, once they do, I'll have to clear the end of the driveway....

This winter is not off to a good start.  I've already shoveled more snow than I did the last two winters combined.  We're having to cancel events at the church, and attendance is down.  Daughter has a second snow day tomorrow-- they missed the last day before break due to bad weather, and I think tomorrow makes the 4th day they've missed since the break was supposed to end.  I don't think they missed any days last year.  Daughter is handling it fairly well, but she's bored.  I bought her house a wii for Christmas.  She hooked it up today and played it some.  None of the other women would play it with her.  She is by far the highest functioning. 


The good news is that the church had a good year financially, so we will have over $12,000 to split evenly between capital improvements and mission.  Some of the mission money will probably go to the local shelters, which are bursting at the seams as they seek to accommodate all the homeless during this cold snap.  I am delighted that we will be able to help them. 


I'm also pleased that I've been able to work at the desk in my guest room today.  I think, though, that I'm going to get a keyboard and mouse to use here at home.  I'll do that as soon as I'm no longer snowed in. 






No comments: