Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Almost

This morning I was going into the church.  Of course, first I had to clear my driveway.  I put on my long underwear, wool socks, lined hoodie, winter jacket, warmest hat (with a face mask), warmest gloves, boots, and headed out.  I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to get it over the piles, so I started pushing it to the edge of the driveway.  My driveway wide enough for two cars, so it's not a problem if I lose some of my driveway to snow.  I just have to keep it clear enough that I can manage to get up the slight hill when I come home. 


My driveway has 12 squares, and by the time I'd done 6, my fingers were so cold they were hurting.  I came in the house and warmed them up, then headed back up.  The bottom of the driveway was a challenge, as a plow had been through, but the majority of the snow was piled on the other side of the street.  I finally got it clear enough I thought I could get back in and headed out.  The car started with no problem, and I was on my way.  The roads are bad.  There is hard packed snow and ice on all the surfaces, and it's too cold for salt to work. 


I made it to the street the church is on without problem.  As I got closer, my heart sank.  Our snow removal company had not been there since early Sunday morning.  The plows had been out to clear the 5 lane road.  There was about 3 feet of snow blocking our driveways.  I turned the corner to head home when my cell phone rang.  Administrative Assistant had also turned around and gone home.  We were so close.  We worked from home today, emailing some documents back and forth.  Of course, we didn't have all the information we needed at home (like the phone number for the snow removal people).  AA called one of our property guys, and they located the number, and the lot will be cleared by tomorrow morning. 


Daughter found out this afternoon that her program is going to be closed again tomorrow.  She has handled it all remarkably well.  She keeps bugging me, wanting to know the plans for Thursday.  I've told her my plan is to pick her up to work at the office, but we'll have to wait and see if the weather is cooperating or not.


This has already been a long winter. 

No comments: