Sunday, June 30, 2013

Snapshots

Daughter was helping with childcare today at church.  She looked at the bulletin and expressed disappointment that she'd miss out on some of the hymns.  I pointed out that we were headed to a conference where she'd have the opportunity to participate in worship twice a day.  Her whole face lit up.  "You're right!  I forgot."

By the time worship began, she had told half of the church that I hadn't packed any of my clothes yet, and we had to leave this afternoon.  We actually left earlier than I had planned.  I knew what was left to do wouldn't take much time, but she was anxious about it.

An adoptive mother of a son with autism came up to me after church with tears in her eyes.  "M bought a trailer!  He's been wanting to get out on his own."  He has also been holding down a fast food job for 9 months now.  I shared her excitement.  I said, "Did you ever think, when you began your adoption journey that a trailer and fast food job would be cause for celebration?"  She said she hadn't, and then observed that I was one of the few people at the church who could understand what great news this is. 

When we finally got in the car to head to our conference, Daughter said, "We used to sing when we were going someplace.  Can we do that again?"  So for the first half hour or so, we sang hymns.  Then she hooked her ipod up so we could listen to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. 

No comments: