Thursday, January 24, 2013

Call

Frederick Buechner wrote, “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” 

This afternoon I met with a young woman in the congregation who recently moved back in with her parents.  She has been downsized several times, and is now doing several part time jobs, including substitute teaching.  We are making plans for a new ministry with children, and have the money to fund a very part time position to coordinate it.  I thought it might interest her. 

Sometimes I'm actually able to discern the Holy Spirit's promptings.  She is excited.  She thanked me numerous times for asking her to do this.  She sees it as a volunteer opportunity, and isn't interested in being paid for it.  I sent her out with the names of two men who are willing to work with her on the planning and a box of resources. 

I think she has been called.  This was one of the meetings that makes me grateful to be a pastor. 

No comments: