Saturday, September 29, 2012

Three Months

It took me three months, but I got it done.  Back in June, I called about getting my computer repaired.  The plan to take it in and get it done in one day fell apart.  I struggled with the most efficient way to get it repaired, and finally decided to send it in.  I'd be without it longer, but it wouldn't take me as long to do it.  So, I transferred files to Daughter's computer and sent it in.  It took two weeks, but 3 months after I made the first phone call, it was returned to me.

The repair shop had said I'd probably have to pay for the mouse because I wouldn't be able to prove it wasn't damaged some other way.  On the packing slip, I described the problem as a "worn out mouse."  They apparently agreed, because they repaired it for free, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that not only did they replace the mouse, they replaced the keyboard and basically the entire top of my laptop.  It may be that they had to do it that way, but I've replaced keyboards before on laptops, and both times I just had to replace the keyboard itself.  They also updated the bios while they had it.  It is back and it is wonderful.  While Daughter's computer is newer than mine, it is cheap.  I couldn't have as many windows open on it, and it couldn't keep up with my typing.  I'm glad I went for a more expensive model when I bought this one 2 1/2 years ago. 

Today I transferred all the files I had written on Daughter's computer over to mine.  I had worked on over 60 files.  I knew I did a lot of writing, but that seemed excessive.  It's good to be back on my computer, and nice that it is new and improved.  All the keys have letters or abbreviations on the them now.  I'd worn the paint off some of the old ones.  I told Administrative Assistant that I think my service contract paid for itself with that repair.  Laptops are the only thing I buy service contracts on, and I've had to make use of them several times.  I'll keep this one running as long as the service contract will cover necessary repairs.  Beyond that, I'll see. 

I worked in the concession stand at the football game today.  It was a busy day in the stand.  I was cooking hot dogs.  We sold lots of hot dogs.  It was a beautiful day for football.  Tomorrow I'll teach a class, lead worship, take Daughter out to lunch, and then train the nominating committee and meet with the family of the woman who died last week to plan her memorial service.  It sounds like it's going to be another big one. 

Daughter is here for the night.  She wasn't too happy that I was going to be working the game today, but she managed without me.  I picked her up after the game (though I made her wait until I'd gone to the bank and eaten supper.)  I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.  I'm looking forward to mine.

No comments: