Thursday, March 1, 2012

Discouraging

Last night I led a Bible study. We were talking about similarities and differences. We had a diverse group gathered. I know there were Republicans and Democrats there. As we talked, I asked, "Do you think this country can come together despite our differences?" The answer was quick and forceful, "NO!" Someone else added, "Not unless there's another 9-11."
.
I have been pondering that response since then. We were a diverse group, and as a congregation there is much we can agree on and we work together. One of the men had commented that he always finds out who is wife is voting for and then votes for the opposite candidate. I'm not surprised he doesn't share his wife's political views, which I see posted on facebook. They disagree, yet they have been married for a long time. They have raised two daughters. Bought, remodeled, and sold homes.
.
They have been able to disagree on politics and come together on life. They don't see one another as the enemy and evil. Sister found out one of the high school friend's who recently friended her on facebook has very different political views. "I think I'm going to have to unfriend her." I told her I didn't think that was necessary. Maybe she and her friend could learn from each other.
.
I'm discouraged with the quickness to label someone and dismiss them. We need to learn to talk to one another. More importantly, we need to learn to listen to one another and respect one another.
.
Okay. I'm stepping off the soap box. When you read a preacher's blog, occasionally you hear a sermon.
.

No comments: