Friday, September 25, 2009

When Did Hospice Become Evil?

So Sister has spoken with Doctor about Dad. He said Dad's body is breaking down, but since his mind is still sharp we can't put him on hospice. We can't just tell him, "Go home and die." That has never been my understanding of hospice. My understanding of hospice has always been that it was about focusing on quality of life and providing spiritual, emotional, and physical comfort during the dying process. I guess because Dad's mind is still sharp, he doesn't need any of those things.
.
Sister still isn't speaking to me. It seems that if we don't put Dad on hospice, he won't die. I will be very surprised if he lives through this hospitalization. I don't want to even think about what his death will do to Sister.

4 comments:

Munchkin Mom said...

Doctor is confused. Hospice is about quality of life, right up to the end.

Reverend Mom said...

I'm beginning to understand why he is no longer the medical director of the hospice.

maeve said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm so sorry you have this extra unnecessary stress.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Maeve.