Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bureaucracy


I don't always appreciate bureaucracy. In June, I had to prove to my insurance company that I provided more than half of Daughter's support and still declared her as my dependent so I could keep her on my health insurance. After reviewing all the information, they decided to cover her for another year, for which I'm grateful, as are all her various doctors.
.

Last month I had to tell Social Security what I did with her SSI. That was easier, as there were 3 categories to fill in: food and housing, savings, and everything else.
.
Today I got to deal with Medicaid. We received a letter telling us we would be there at 1:15 today to get it renewed for another year. So, I picked her up at the workshop and we presented ourselves in the welfare office at 1:10. Back in December the bank had called (national office) not local, and informed me Daughter's savings account had to be changed, as she was no longer a minor. I okayed the changes, sent back the paperwork, and a couple of months later they closed the account and sent me a cashier's check for the balance, saying they hadn't received the information they needed. I just threw the money in my savings account, and figured I'd worry about it later. That wasn't acceptable for Medicaid. I have to show the first account was closed, and what happened to the money.
.
So, we went to the bank. Problem: we couldn't open a new account because of the problem with the account they closed. Apparently there had been a discrepancy on Daughter's social security number, and they couldn't get it resolved. I had her SSI paperwork, so after a long phone conversation they used that to resolve that issue and get the new account opened. I made some changes to my accounts while we were there.
.
In between, I dealt with phone calls from siblings. Dad is still alive. I don't know what his weight is. He voice sounded okay, and he said he was fine, but he didn't seem engaged and didn't ask questions. Far Away Sister was concerned because the first time she talked to him he sounded weak, and the second time he was confused. Brother reported that he had a bratwurst for supper. Nice, high sodium option. Maybe he is choosing death by eating.
.
On a brighter note, we were blessed with the beautiful rainbow above after supper this evening.

No comments: