Thursday, September 10, 2009

Road Trip

Daughter and I are going to go visit Dad tomorrow. He has infection in both feet. He's supposed to be on bed rest with his feet elevated, but he isn't following that. That's okay with me, as I figure if the fluid drain out of his legs, it would just go to his lungs. He's also becoming more confused. Far Away Sister called him about 1:00 this afternoon. She asked what he'd had for lunch, and then he asked her if she was getting ready for bed. She told him she was getting ready for lunch. He asked her what the time difference was, and told her it was 7:00 where he was. She's 2 hours earlier than he is, and normally he knows that. He finally figured out he had his watch on upside down.
.
Far Away Sister and I both are frustrated as we try to figure out how he is doing. So, in part, I'm on a mission for both of us to go assess the situation. Last we heard, he had about 77 pounds of fluid. I was surprised by how supportive Daughter was of the idea of making a trip up there. She said it was what she needed. The uncertainty is hard on both of us. Initially, I was going to go up and come back the same day. Now I've decided to go and spend the night. I made reservations at a motel. There are a number of little things I will take care of for Dad, including buying and programming a new cordless phone for him. I'm hoping to find one with a large numeric display and volume control. He's having trouble hearing us on his current one.
.
Far Away Sister sees it as an opportunity for me to go say good bye to him. I'm no longer trying to predict when the call will come, though when the phone rang at 7:04 this morning, that was my first thought.

No comments: