Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Daughter's Tough Day

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the lobby, talking to friends, when one of the teenagers came running in.  Daughter had been playing kickball, and was now shaking uncontrollably.  She needed me.  I headed to the field, and as I approached, Daughter, said, "I'm fine.  You don't need to come."  She walked back up to the lodge with me.  I suspect she had a low blood sugar, and then rebounded, since her blood sugar was a little high. 

I sat back down and was resuming my conversation when Daughter came running down the hall from our room, sobbing.  She thrust her cell phone into my hand.  "I can't talk to him!" 

"Who is it?" 

"Oldest Brother." 

I took her phone and told him not to call Daughter anymore, it was too distressing for her.  Daughter then sat next to me with her head on my shoulder, sobbing.  I offered reassurance, and she slowly recovered. 

Someone asked if I thought she was manipulating me.  I don't think so.  She had recovered and didn't want me when I arrived at the field.  She wouldn't cry in public or put her head on my shoulder if she weren't genuinely scared-- she would think it too embarrassing.  The good news is she recovered quickly, and by evening she was back to normal. 

Several people have commented on how much she has matured in the last year.  As one man said today, she's not as clingy.  It's nice. 

No comments: