Sunday, June 21, 2009

Whining

A number of years ago I read an article that reported that scientists had determined that children's whining is at a pitch that irritates the nerves. Of course, any parent could have told scientists that and saved them a great deal of time and trouble. Daughter is demonstrating this right now. I know it's her way of grieving, but she is being incredibly annoying. She is complaining constantly about being dizzy, and being quite dramatic about staggering around. She doesn't seem to be able to speak without whining. I know that she isn't able to talk about her pain and grief, so they come out in physical symptoms.
.
I am not showing much sympathy for her physical symptoms-- in fact, I'm pretty much ignoring them. I am encouraging her to talk about her feelings and grief, though, in the hopes that then she won't have to feel sick.
.
We leave next Sunday for two weeks. I am behind starting out, and need to get so much done before we leave. I really need Daughter's cooperation if we are going to get everything done. We aren't done unpacking from our last trip, but we need to begin thinking about packing for our next trip, which will include 6 nights of tent camping. We haven't camped for several years, so we need to go through all our equipment.
.
As hectic as this week will be, I'm grateful we will be leaving next week. I'm tired, and I'm thinking that it is those two weeks we are gone that will really bring healing. The first week will be spent at a conference we have attended for years. It's a safe community where Daughter is known and we are both supported. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get away and have some time to sit and reflect. Right now my goal is to get through this week. Next week I'll have time and space to mourn. But not this week.

No comments: