Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Finished

Mom died this morning. Dad had begun to recognize reality, calling me to tell me she had about a week left. I've been pacing all morning as I make arrangements to leave town. Secretary has been wonderful. A colleague will handle the committal service I had tomorrow afternoon. In a few minutes I will head to town to tell Daughter and bring her home so she can help me pack.
.
Brother and Sister were both there when the nurse and hospice chaplain told Dad what had happened. He keeps asking them not to leave him. There will be a memorial service Saturday at noon at their church. Daughter and I should arrive this evening. Far Away Sister will fly in very early Thursday morning.
.
I am surprised by how well I'm doing right now-- of course, I'm busy focusing on everything that needs to be done and the needs of everyone else. At some point I'm going to have to sit down and face it all, but for now it's good to have things to keep me busy and occupied. I suspect that I won't be posting regularly for a few days.

7 comments:

Heather said...

My sincere condolences. The loss of an aging relative is such an agonizing pull between extremes: grief and loss over the loved one who is no longer there to share with, laugh with, love; a release of stress because the pain, anticipation and uncertainty are over; and blessedly for the Christian - rejoicing that they are at peace and at home.

For me it was my grandparents and great aunt, who raised me as their daughter. My heart goes out to you and Daughter, and I pray the Lord will sustain you in the tough days to come.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

No matter how prepared we are, we are never prepared enough. Losing a mom is so hard!

I wish you and DD much peace...and a safe trip. maeve

Munchkin Mom said...

I am so sorry for your loss. We will all be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Diane and Kids

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. May peace be with you and your family.

Kari said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. Your family is in my prayers. ~Kari

Emma said...

Sorry. Take care.

TobyBo said...

prayers from here.