Friday, June 19, 2009

Rewarded

Today I received a report from Daughter's endocrinologist. I had taken her in for her blood work earlier this month. One of the tests measures her average blood sugar over the last 3 months. Daughter's last test had been her highest ever, and her blood sugars were all over the place, from sky high to lows that wouldn't respond to treatment.
.
I took over her insulin once I figured out that she hadn't been handling it properly, and I put an alarm on her bedroom door to stop the middle of the night snack runs. Her A1c is now 6.3, which is fantastic. (The target range for diabetics is less than 7.0 or 6.5, depending on who you talk to.) It works out to an average blood sugar of 129 (normal is less than 120). Needless to say, I am delighted. There have been times when I have been frustrated by the fact that I have had to take over so much of her diabetes care. But today, I saw the reward of my efforts in that little piece of paper from the endocrinologist. My hard work is protecting her from the complications that are so much a part of diabetes.
.
Perhaps most rewarding, there was a warning from the doctor to avoid low blood sugars. Daughter hasn't been having any. I don't remember her last low! We've achieved excellent control without low blood sugars. I needed some good news this week, and this definitely qualifies.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Wow! That's a great number!! Can you manage my daughter's diabetes now?! :-)

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks! I know you can truly understand what an accomplishment this is. I doubt I can do anything with your daughter-- I think the smarter they are the harder it is....