Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Next Challenge

Dad is in his new apartment at the assisted living facility. This once easy going man has suddenly become very demanding. He calls for an aide to hand him the remote control to his television. He called me yesterday and told me to call Brother and tell him to get over there. I explained that Brother was busy (Brother had taken vacation time to get Dad moved and settled). He still insisted I call Brother, so I did. Brother was on a conference call for work, so I called Dad back and explained it again.
.
Yesterday afternoon Dad called me again. "Do you know where I am? I just woke up from a nap and I don't know where I am."
.
Today they moved Mom into the room across the hall from him. The hospice nurse told him she had less than 20 days left. Sister told me that she noticed a marked decline in Mom over the past week. Dad told me that they initially thought Mom had 30 days, but now that she's eating, she has more time left.
.
We think he might not be getting enough oxygen while he's sleeping, so the doctor is going to check on that next week.
.
Sister and I both made vacation plans for the week of July 5. I figure that will be the week Mom dies.
.
One day at a time. We will have the strength to face the challenges of each day.

1 comment:

TobyBo said...

I am glad your Dad knows to call you and am praying for you as you go through these very difficult times.