Thursday, June 4, 2009

Finally, a Good Day

Dad called this morning. He sounded great. Dad doesn't generally call us, and I had just spoken to him yesterday evening, so this was unusual. He was calling because he had exciting news he wanted to share: UB has an appointment for credit counseling tomorrow. Dad was so pleased. I could tell that he felt like a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders.
.
I think we are all relieved. Spouse kept complaining that it would be embarrassing to go for credit counseling. I was ready to tell spouse that going to jail, into bankruptcy, or losing their home would be more embarrassing, but fortunately that wasn't necessary. I hadn't had a conversation with Spouse, but Far Away Sister did, and Far Away Sister had been too angry to continue the conversation. Far Away Sister wanted me to call Spouse, and fill in the blanks, but instead I chose to call UB. I read UB the riot act, explaining that the lack of responsibility was having a negative impact on Dad's health. I told UB that Spouse needed to be fully informed and told how generous and understanding Dad had been. I listened to all the excuses about why they had been too busy the last 5 1/2 months to schedule an appointment with a credit counselor. I didn't buy that, and told UB to make the appointment and talk to Spouse. Apparently, UB heard me. I am the oldest, and am significantly older than my youngest siblings. I was often seen as a third parent. I made use of that authority yesterday. Most encouraging, UB is still speaking to me. I called Dad a while ago, and UB answered and was quite friendly and talkative. Spouse may not be speaking to any of us, but UB is. We can deal with that.
.
I had the opportunity to visit with 6 of the saints at one of the nursing homes in town today. I always enjoy my time with them. Today, I took them communion. It was wonderful to be able to visit with them. They are all such good people.
.
Daughter came home in a chipper mood this afternoon, and she got to work doing things without me saying a single word. I was impressed. Hopefully now that she has readjusted to her meds and is getting them regularly she will be on a more even keel.
.
The new vacuum cleaner I ordered with Dad's money arrived today. The hair that Cat and Kitten leave all over the house is very hard on vacuum cleaners. I was doing well if I got a year out of them, so I ordered a rebuilt Dyson designed for animal hair. I was amazed at the amount of dirt it picked up. I knew the old vacuum cleaner was bad, but I hadn't realized how bad.
.
It was wonderful to have good news on so many fronts today. It does much to lighten my own stress level. Tonight, I'm going to make campground reservations for the vacation Dad is financing. It will be wonderful to go camping again. I'm looking forward to long walks in the woods, campfires, and concerts. My time camping is always renewing for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going better!