Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Better Day

This afternoon I went and visited a woman who just lost her daughter to cancer. Her daughter was supposed to be dead 8 years ago, but was a strong woman who beat the odds. Even in November, when they started hospice, her doctor didn't give her much time. Up until the last couple of weeks, she was still going. This woman I visited today has now buried her husband, 5 of her siblings, and now her daughter, not to mention parents and such. We were remembering her husband and sister today. When I look at what she has gone through, it makes my own grief seem minor. Most of my grieving was done before Mom's death. I know I will grieve more in the weeks and months ahead, but I also know that there is much I can celebrate even in the midst of my grief.
Daughter came home today and used her words to tell me about her grief. That is much easier to deal with than her acting out. We read a book about grief, and she rested with her head on my shoulder for a while. I'm going to have to make time each day to nurture her as she continues to work through her grief. She wore a pair of Grandma's socks today. My 4 year old niece is sleeping in one of Grandma's t-shirts. She told Sister that it smelled like Grandma.
Far Away Sister has arranged for the furniture I'm getting from Mom and Dad to be delivered on Friday. I am very grateful. Now I need to go finish the newsletter, or Secretary will not be happy tomorrow morning....

No comments: