Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Long Day

The Memorial Service for Mom was very nice. Daughter tried to escape several times, but managed to stick it out. Daughter and Far Away Niece (who is 15), both were sobbing at points. Dad did well, and was very pleased with the service. It was over an hour long, but had lots of music and such and was nice. We went over to see Dad yesterday evening (I figured he'd be exhausted and want to rest, but he wanted us to come over). While we were there, they did his evening blood sugar check. It was too high for the meter to read. Sister tried to page the doctor, but he didn't respond.
.
The doctor had taken him off novolog, which is a fast acting insulin used to cover food. His blood sugars had been creeping up all week. He told Sister that his blood sugars were good. They weren't. I ended up taking him to the Emergency Room. I dropped Daughter at Sister's house. Far Away Sister came to the ER, too. His blood sugar was 490. The ER doctor thought he'd be admitted, but his doctor (who finally responded to the ER page) said to give him 10 units of novolog and start him back up on it. Of course, they didn't have any novolog. I drove over to Sister's house (about a mile from the ER), and got Daughter's novolog pen. Far Away Sister took him back to assisted living (it was close to her hotel). It was after midnight, so Daughter chose to stay with Sister (she was asleep with Sister and Niece in her king size bed). She didn't get her Lantus (long acting insulin) last night, so I expected her blood sugar to be sky high this morning. It was a little high, but not bad, all things considered.
.
This morning Dad's blood sugar is 112. He's tired, but asking me to bring him things. I'm hoping Sister can drop off Daughter at Panera on her way to Niece's dance recital dress rehearsal. Dad was a little confused about things yesterday, mixing up stories, time lines, and such. I think he'll do fine while Far Away Sister and I are here and he's getting lots of attention. I don't know how he'll do once we leave.
.
I decided not to go to church this morning. I'm exhausted, and don't want to be around people. I may take Daughter to a movie. She needs a fun escape. Far Away Sister warned me not to take her to Up, since apparently it begins with the old man's wife dying. Daughter has had far too many PTSD triggers this week, and so I'm going to work hard at avoiding any additional ones.
.
Thank you all for your prayers and support. We're going to be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, long day does not begin to cover what you've been through.

No wonder dad cant remember things clearly, the high blood sugar was messing with his brain.

we saw up and loved it, but I agree it would be way too close to home.

not only does the wife and love of his life pass away, but the first part of the movie is the old man going through his life memories with of their relationship from the day they met as children.

BUT later maybe after its out to rent , it is well worth seeing, its surprisingly deep for a cartoon movie.

Prayers from ca. I am glad to hear the service went well, and that dd was fairly appropriate.

owl